Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Gringa Trail's guest blogging appearance


The Long anticipated moment has arrived, my piece that I wrote for onetravel.com has finally been published!

Check it out by following this link;

http://onetravel.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/confessions-of-a-travelholic/

***Oct 17/2010 update I have noticed that this blog site is suspended for violation of terms of use which is very strange. I have not contacted the site as to why but the link no longer works so I have pasted below what I wrote and what was published and on the site for a few months. I am quite disappointed I was very proud of myself for being published on another site.***
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! More adventures to come...


Confessions of a Travelholic

One of the things of love about being single is that I can walk into a movie store and not worrying about renting couple friendly movies. You know those ones that aren’t too girlie but there are not a lot of killing and car chases, the happy medium movies. I can rent a chick flick without feeling guilty and enjoy it with a glass of wine. I felt fantastic walking into the video store this evening; I was going to watch whatever I wanted. That was until I ran into the incredibly attractive, cute happy couple who were in line in front of me. If the guy wasn’t so gorgeous with his little bit of grey hair sprinkled on his neck they would have made me barf. That’s when I noticed they’re one movie compared to the stack overflowing in my arms. In their cozy watching a movie on a Friday night under a blanket clothes, those bastards! I know exactly what they will be doing! They probably won’t even make it through that one measly movie before jogging pants, fuzzy sock and hoodies go flying to the floor.

The lovely girl at the till tried to convince me to pay extra so I can have my movies for 7 days instead of two nights, that way I avoid any late fees. Being the thrifty girl that I am I declined and went for the cheaper option. Even when she advised me that I had two girlie movies plus part one and two of the Che Guevera movies which are 3 hours long each. I noticed jogging pant clad couple leaving, “that’s quite alright,” I said. I have my weekend all planned out, just Che and I and that’s fine by me.

I initially went to rent Julie and Julia. A friend recommended it to me to get me inspired with my blog and ambition to make a writer out of myself. Apparently working on a seniors cruise doesn’t provide much in the way of inspiration. The movie wasn’t in but I did find confessions of a shopaholic and surprisingly it did inspire.

My name is Tracy and I am a Travelholic. I save every last penny for my next journey. I can’t stay in one place for more than 6 months, I begin searching the net for plane tickets, buses anything. At first I thought it was just dissatisfaction with where I was living. I wanted to live abroad but everywhere I go I want to see more. The thrill of being on a plane not knowing much about where I am going but knowing there are adventures to be had people to meet and sites to see. With every temple, museum, beach and jungle it only brings me knowledge of more that I haven’t seen yet. With every person I meet from a different country it only makes me want to find more out about where they are from, go to their country and experience it. I fear renting an apartment, with the commitment to sign a lease. What if I had the urge to go to India? I do not own a car anymore or a cell phone. I have sold almost everything I own and am continuously looking for more items to put up on the net to provide me with more money to fuel my addiction and fewer possessions to ground me. People tell me I will eventually get sick of it but do alcoholics eventually get sick of beer? Perhaps but then they move into rum, whiskey, vodka or wine. I may tire of Latin America but then there is Africa, India, Asia, Northern and Eastern Europe, the list could go on like the pages in an atlas. The world of travelers is moving on without me while I am stuck on a boat in Canada. As beautiful as it is I am crossing the dates off the calendar, scratching little marks on the wall, biting at the bit and pinching every penny.

T – 92 days and counting, destination unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog directory