Sunday, October 31, 2010

WRITENOW


Sometimes the easiest question is actually the hardest. You want something so bad and it’s what you have worked so hard for everything you have done has brought you to this point and then someone says why do you want this and your mind goes blank. This should be easy but for some reason it isn’t at all. I am trying to apply for my dream job getting paid to travel and write about it. Although I felt like I completely messed up on the telephone interview. The guy asked me why I wanted this job and I stumbled my mind went blank I couldn’t get the words out. If a random person on the street had ask me what I want to do, what would be my dream job in two seconds I would have a reply, I would say I want to be a writer, a travel writer, I want to be able to get paid to do what I love; travel. Why couldn’t I have just said that over the phone instead of first stumbling over my words then rambling on? Then I remembered an answer to his question that I could actually get out of my mouth, my favourite book the Alchemist. In the beginning of the book Paulo Coelho says there are four obstacles to confronting our own dream.

First; we are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible

Second; Love. We know what we want to do but are afraid of hurting those around us by abandoning everything in order to pursue our dream.

Third; Fear of defeats we will meet on our path.

Fourth; Fear of realizing the dream for which we fought all our lives for.

I think the fourth obstacle rings true in my case. Paulo says you need to believe your worthy of the thing you fought so hard to get. He says he has known many people who, when their personal calling was within their grasp went on to commit stupid mistakes and never reached their goal when it was only a step away. Hmmm how very true I wonder if Paulo knows what verbal Diarrhoea is. Hopefully the interviewer realizes how daunting a telephone interview can be. Also I had just finished the video and my resume the night before and had sent it in at midnight, they called the next morning when I had just gotten out of the shower and was only wearing a towel, and I was so not ready to answer questions.

With a little help from the wisdom of Paulo and a good friend of mine I am going to meet these obstacles head on and laugh at them right in the face. I am worthy of my dream! My friend always tells me I am a writer but I down play it a lot because I don’t get paid for this blog. I am changing my way of thinking I am a writer! I write a travel blog, I have written for a newspaper in Mexico, I wrote on a travel site and I am currently writing walking tours for an Iphone Application. I was so thrilled at my realization that I e-mailed my friend and told him. He wrote back and said, “I think now that you figured out you are a writer you need to do what writers do and just write.”

In the Alchemist they speak of omens a lot some people may or may not believe in them but I have an open mind and I do believe in the simple messages in the Alchemist "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
On my way to pick up my friend to go to Niagara-on-the-lake to write my Niagara winery pieces for my blog there was a SUV in front of me. I couldn’t believe it when I read the license plate it said “WRITENOW” It was bizarre, now you non believers out there can’t tell me that isn’t a sign. I had my camera in my hand bag on the seat beside me so when we came to a stop sign I took a photo. Maybe I should carry a copy of that photo to remind me what I should be doing.

Here is to getting the job and if I don’t then I will not let this defeat bring me down. It will just be an obstacle on the path to my dream.

2 comments:

  1. Write on! I know it's not easy to make a living as a writer but the hardest part about achieving anything is making the decision to take that path. Once you're on it, you just have to keep walking and don't look back!

    I love reading your posts, I think you have talent and will go far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post... I´ve been feeling uneasy about saying it as well... But ya, I´m a writer!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog directory